Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

How does the Tarot work?

I have been trying to think of ways to explain how I feel the Tarot works, there seems to be many opinions about this question.  When I first started getting to know tarot, there was a sense of magic and mystery.  I still think there is something very special going on that we CAN have access to.  I don't think every tarot reader is "gifted".  I don't think there are very many real "psychic" readers.  I DO think we all have intuition. When someone who is skeptical asks you "how does the tarot work?" what do you say?  I have struggled with this question for quite awhile.  I tend to be very "matter of fact" about things and usually say, "It works because it just works!".  Okay, that is not a brilliant answer...there has to be more to it!  So, I think I will start my quest for an answer by sharing the link to John Ballantrae's podcast where he shares his opinion.  It's about 15 minutes long and for me, he articulated a few points that I could not...it is definitely something that I think everyone should listen to if they are seeking an answer to how the tarot works.   http://www.thetarot.ca/podcasts/podcast_006/006_audacitymp3.mp3
If you follow John, you will know that his knowledge of tarot is amazing.  He gives facts.  He also explains things in a way that anyone can understand.
Before listening to this podcast, I did a little 3 card spread...past-present-future..."what can John teach me?" was my question.
I turned over:
The Devil-The Hierophant-Three of Wands
The Devil in the Past position tells me that I may have some bad habits.  Maybe I have ideas that are just not true.  Mostly it seems to be saying that I am obsessed with something...which brings me to the Present and the Hierophant.  Well, I am obsessed with learning!  I think it is also telling me that I need to study more-I need to know more of the structure, the symbols, the fundamentals.  (that makes sense to me)  And also, John is a teacher...he has a course and materials available to learn the tarot.   The Future is the Three of wands.  There is a sense of climbing higher to see farther.  I like that.  So, I would say that I have much to learn from John!

No comments:

Post a Comment