Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Wizards Tarot Review

Wizards Tarot
Corrine Kenner and John J. Blumen
Publisher: Llewellyn Publications
ISBN-10: 073871285X
ISBN-13: 978-0738712857


I received my Wizards Tarot earlier this week and didn’t feel I had the time to really look it over so I’ve saved it for today-my day off.  After shuffling I noticed that these cards are thin and very easy to shuffle.  I don’t mean “flimsy”, just very comfortable.  I have average size hands and these are a perfect fit.  The artwork on this deck is very nice!  I’m guessing this was done digitally.  I do find the borders very distracting. When I get a new deck, I like to really look at the images before going to the companion book.  This deck has a full size book with it!  I was totally amazed by that.  We’ll look at that later, for now, onto the interview with Wizards Tarot Deck.
What is your personality?
Queen of Pentacles:
When I turned this card over, I thought the image was of a male.  There’s nothing pretty about this Queen.  She’s sitting on a stone throne and wearing antlers on her head.  Her eyes are closed as if she’s meditating on the pentacle she’s holding.  Perhaps she’s looking for an answer to something that’s been troubling her?
The background is a winter scene complete with snow, she looks warm enough in her fur that’s draped across her shoulders.  She’s wearing red.  Her feet are firmly planted on a fur rug and she’s wearing deer skin boots. There’s a ring on the middle finger of her left hand-the hand holding the large Pentacle.  The “feeling” I get from this card is that this is a down to earth deck that will give you practical answers.  The personality is clearly deep thinking and hard working.  Earthy.

What can you tell me?
The Six of Pentacles:
Now, this is very interesting!  I seem to draw the six of Pentacles no matter what deck I’m using.  A young man holding a scale in his right hand is giving coins to another young man and a young girl.  The giver is “above” the two receivers.  Yet, they are dressed almost identical.  I like this image because; I don’t see those in need as beggars as some decks portray them.  A checkerboard pattern on the floor reminds me of chess and that we all have our place in the “game”.  This looks like a peaceful, almost happy image.  There are Six Pentacles on the wall.  The young people wear green tops and brown bottoms-indicating that they are grounded.

What do you think of me?
Seven of Pentacles:
Here a woman leaning on a walking stick is admiring her plant.  There are seven pentacles growing from her plant.  There’s nothing else really growing in this image, the ground is brown and dry except for the little bit of snow in the image.  The sky is beautiful with fluffy clouds and a “heavenly” look.  The woman is wearing brown and green like the last image of the Pentacles.  I think this deck is telling me that this will take some time in order to produce any rewards. 

What will this deck bring me?
Four of Wands:
A man and woman are dancing on a pentagram that’s designed on the floor; they’re surrounded by four torches.  Dance partners dancing on what looks like a Wheel of some sort.  Working together, partnership, common courtesy…these are the things that come to mind when I look at this image.  Red, the color of fire. 

Okay, a note on the shuffle, I shuffled this deck every chance I had for two days before pulling any cards.  I ended up with three Pentacles and one Wand.  I’m taking that as a clear message that the most important thing this deck has to offer me is all matters that are Earthy.

Here’s where I take out the Companion Book and see what can be added to anything I got from the images.  The fun part for me! 

Wizards Tarot Handbook:

242 pages is quite a companion book!  This is not a typical Little White Book; it’s more like a Study Course.  Each of the Major’s has a Spread illustrated in great detail. 
It’s called Mandrake Academy.  Since I come into this knowing nothing of Magic, this will truly be a “study course” for me with tons of information.
This deck and book remind me of Harry Potter so I can imagine a great following here for Corrine. 
  Notes From Amazon.com:

Product Description

Step through the doors of Mandrake Academy, where you will don the robes of a magical apprentice and learn from your instructor—the tarot. Featuring gorgeous, intricately rendered digital art, Wizards Tarot is unlike any other instructional guide or tarot deck. Unique and beginner-friendly, this tarot kit is also a complete course in magic, featuring twenty-one enjoyable and practical lessons based on the tarot cards.
Grounded in the classic Rider-Waite-Smith deck structure, Wizards Tarot teaches spellcasting, herbalism, runes, astrology, astral travel, shape-shifting, and many more aspects of magic, all while helping you gain skills in tarot card reading. Innovative card spreads and layouts are also included.

About the Author

Corrine Kenner specializes in bringing metaphysical subjects down to earth. Her work on the tarot is widely published, and her classes and workshops are perennial favorites among students in the Midwest. Corrine is a certified tarot master, and she holds a bachelor's degree in philosophy from California State University, Long Beach. 

You can find her website at www.corrinekenner.com. 



5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! Would you be willing to post this on Amazon.com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, nice post! I hope to get my copy of this deck when I attend RS this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experience about the tarot deck. This is really very interesting. I got to know enough knowledge about the tarot deck from this site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tarot card is something that an individual can undertake on their very own and it is not necessary to have an ancient deck in order to get the most from these cards. The power of tarot cards lies in a person's ability to understand and interpret the messages being relayed rather than in the age of the cards themselves. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete