Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Review: Gaining Archetypal Vision


Gaining Archetypal Vision: A Guidebook for Using Archetypes in Personal Growth & Healing
Toni Gilbert
Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.
ISBN-10: 0764339117
Toni Gilbert shares her amazing journey in this book and despite the small size, it’s packed full of information.  I was especially impressed by the in depth description of Chakras.  I would think this book should be in the hands of every healer, both in traditional medicine and alternative therapies. 

The concept of “Everyday Archetypes” and taking the time to learn where you fall into these archetypes is very enlightening. There is a section about how we become who we are that hit a nerve for me- everything in this book leads me to a deeper understanding of so many events, tragedies and triumphs in my own life.  What started out as a simple book review turned into a learning experience, allowing me to find answers that had eluded me for many years. 

I especially enjoyed Toni’s discussion on Grace and Chaos.  I was able to look at past events and present situations in a way I had never been able to before.  I learned so much from this book I was able to fill a notebook and make decisions about the methods I will explore to get to the bottom of a few issues in my life that have been keeping me in a cycle that clearly needs to be broken.  The truth is, I read this book when it was first released and I had a problem processing the information-I know I was in denial of a few key things and wasn’t ready to accept many of the ideas presented so well in Toni’s clear, easy to understand writing style. 

The exact moment when I knew this book could guide me? It was on the airplane ride home from Readers Studio. I realized what I needed was sitting on a shelf in my house waiting for me to open the pages and get started. 
After getting settled in at home I went straight to the bookshelf and began reading this book again.  This time I highlighted and took notes.  I knew were I was “right now”-and I knew it wasn’t where I wanted to be!  I had somehow managed to shut so many things out of my mind that I was no longer remembering my dreams and I had become very detached from the things that used to matter a great deal.  It seemed like the color was gone from my life. Sometimes everything comes together and the pieces of the puzzle start to fit.  Toni’s book helped me to look at things from a new perspective.

I’ve watched Toni from afar, I’ve read her first book and I’ve listened to her on various radio shows.  The impression she’s always given me is she’s someone who really did the work. She blazed the trail for all of us who are called to heal.  We’ve all listened to- or read advice from many experts… but when you listen to Toni, you just know that she’s speaking of something she’s passionate about and something she’s dedicated her life to. She seems equally as passionate about teaching it to others.  Toni has an incredible mind and an even more incredible heart.  I can only imagine how it would be to have Toni as a Counselor and wish there were more like her in the healing business.  The fact that she uses so many methods in her therapies is another heads up to anyone who feels there is only one way to provide therapy.

My absolute favorite passage from this book:
- “…As we become familiar with the archetypal effects upon our world and our lives, the more we come to know ourselves.  The better we know ourselves, the more comfortable we will feel in the company of others.  All in all, the knowledge we gain from observing the archetypal system make us more aware.  And as we learn to make use of the archetypes, we’ll enhance our personal and social life, at home as well as in the world at large.”


 
This book is for everyone who practices healing, everyone who wants to heal themselves and anyone who wants to explore Archetypes.  This is a valuable reference that you can consult over and over. 



No comments:

Post a Comment