Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

This Lenormand


I’ve been sidetracked by life again, only to come back to these cards. They seem to be pulling me towards getting to know them better.  I’ve dabbled here and there; I’ve taken pictures of spreads and then put them away for another day.  It would seem that today is the day I’m to pull the cards out again.  I’ve just (this week) added another deck to my Lenormand collection...hardly a collection at this point but the important thing here is that this new deck has images that are very pleasing to me.  They’re soft, a little unfocused in a way and modern enough to make sense.  I do have some trouble with decks that have images I can’t relate to...don’t we all?  Anyway, I’m off on a learning tangent today, ready for whatever comes my way!  It’s the day to begin the journal process for this system, this style...this Lenormand.


Past Life Musings

I’m extremely interested in working with Past Life Readings and using cards to gain insight.  I have tried using Tarot for this and I’m not really satisfied with my results.  I began to play with Lenormand and Past Life Readings two days ago and I’m very pleased with how this is going.  I haven’t read up on this, I don’t know if anyone else is doing it and I suppose I could be “doing it all wrong”.  Nonetheless, I will pursue this and journal the progress as I go.

Why “Past Life Readings” and not “Fortune Telling”? 

Simple, I don’t care for fortune telling in the literal sense, yes, I know it’s possible with Lenormand but, I want to go another direction.  I truly believe that some of us are carrying around “stuff” from past lives that keeps us from breaking through blocks and obstacles in this life.  We don’t have to agree on this point, it’s only an opinion. 

To get started I’ll tell you about the deck I’m using right now.  The Vintage Lenormand is just what I needed in a Lenormand deck!  You can view it, order it or speak to the creator here:   https://www.facebook.com/RootweaversDecks
The deck comes with a printed sheet of paper folded in three’s, the first section gives you Keywords, the second & third section give the credits and Bio.  This deck was created by Jara-babylon Rootweaver.  The deck comes in a plastic case and as a nice added touch, you will also get a hand made bag to keep your deck in.  Also, two cones of incense and an autographed card are included in this package.  These are lovely little touches!

I do not have all of the meanings memorized-nor am I even close to knowing how to combine cards so, I’ll be sharing my resources here as we go along.  This is truly for those who want to take part in an adventure of sorts!  I welcome insight, advice and training! 

The first thing I had to learn was that this is not a system of deep layers of meanings, the card is the card - and the meaning is the meaning.  I will of course learn more about this as time goes on but for now, it’s enough to drill into my head that this is NOT tarot and it cannot be read in the same way.

Divination

According to the dictionary divination is:  The art or practice that seeks to foresee or foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge usually by the interpretation of omens or by the aid of supernatural powers.

Okay, “supernatural powers”?  I guess you could say that a deck of cards can give you special powers...or not!

And from the Encyclopedia:

Practice of discerning the hidden significance of events and foretelling the future. Divination is found in all societies, ancient and modern, though methods vary. In the West, psychics claim innate ability to predict the future, and horoscopes, palm reading, and tarot cards are popular methods of divination. Other methods involve or have involved interpreting dreams, discovering omens in natural events, reading the entrails of animals, casting lots, and consulting oracles. Divination has long been viewed as the province of specially gifted persons, such as prophets, shamans, and magicians.

Well, that’s a little better...but it still implies that someone has to be “gifted” in order to “divine”.

Who or What is a Lenormand?


Marie Anne Adelaide Lenormand (1772–1843) was a French professional fortune-teller, active for more than 40 years and of considerable fame during the Napoleonic era. Lenormand claimed to have given cartomantic advice to many famous persons, among them leaders of the French revolution (Marat, Robespierre and St-Just), Empress Josephine and Czar Alexander. In 1814 Lenormand started a second literary career and published many texts, causing many public controversies. Lenormand was imprisoned more than once, though never for very long. In France Lenormand is considered the greatest cartomancer of all time, highly influential on the wave of French cartomancy that began in the late 18th century.

It’s interesting to note that “Lenormand” decks were not published until after this nice lady died. 

Okay, that’s all the history I want to discuss here, I’m not really a history buff and you can find more information if that’s what you are into.

First Things First
When I first thought of using this deck for Past Life Readings I wasn't really sure how to go about, I don’t have any books on reading these cards and I've not been to any classes.  Of course I've heard snippets of information here and there but, that’s about it.

This is the image of the spread I “made up”.



Amazingly, for this spread I didn't use a significator – This is exactly how the cards came up beginning at the top, left to right.
I’m working out some of these pairs and what meaning they hold in a Past Life context...Ah! Wishing I knew a lot more about reading these cards!  It seems there’s plenty of information here...

Anchor-Stability
Cross-Karma
Heart-Love
Coffin-End or Death
Woman- Me
Fish-Money or Business
Key-Solution
Child-Haley
Moon-Dreams, Emotions

Well, I’ll keep working at this and checking out combinations.




No comments:

Post a Comment