Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

HOLD IT! Let’s Talk About Tarot Deck “Reviews”

A review is not a book report, it’s not a smear campaign and it’s supposed to be helpful. 

I think it goes without saying that the reason I write reviews is because I want you to be able to make a good, informed decision based on an honest review.  Let’s face it; some of the decks we all love are expensive.  I don’t have a problem with an expensive deck, I don’t have a problem with a deck that’s different-even off the wall is fine with me.  BUT! I will have an opinion about a deck that I’m asked to review.  They cannot all be 5 stars, sorry, that’s just the way things work in the real world.  By sharing what isn’t quite right for me it gives you (the reader) an opportunity to decide if it’s right for you. 
In the case of The Beautiful Creatures Tarot Review: 
I interviewed the author (of the companion book that comes with this deck) He in no way indicated that there were astrology attributes only on the face of the court cards.  In the companion book you are given the association that matches the court card - except in the case of the Nymphs.  What this all made me think of was a trick or façade to make this deck different.  It’s already different and didn’t need this to make it special.  In fact, in my opinion, it makes the deck less user friendly for many readers.  A tarot deck has a court.  A family or the royal members…however you like to look at it.  It does not have “astrology cards”.  Astrology is part of reading tarot. Astrology is NOT “The Tarot”.  If you purchased this deck without knowing how the “court cards” don’t exist in the traditional way you may be unhappy and return the deck.  You might also find it an interesting twist and love the deck.  I didn’t “love” how the cards are presented so it only got three stars from me.  BUT, there are nice things about this deck-the images, the companion book and the bonus cards.



The Meaning of Amazon's Star Rating System

5 Stars - I love it


4 Stars - I like it


3 Stars – Its OK



2 Stars - I don't like it


1 Star - I hate it

I also think it’s worth mentioning that the “Review” section of Amazon isn’t a “Discussion Board”. I would also invite you to wait until you have the deck in your hands to add comments to the review section.  This will make you a bit more credible.  Also, I think it is disrespectful to address anyone with Honey, Baby or whatever.  That alone discredits you as a person who is writing something that is to be taken seriously.  To assume that I do not know how the tarot and astrology work together is laughable.  I never said I don’t understand astrology association in a tarot deck. 
You will notice that the first review of this deck could not have been done by anyone who had the deck in their hands- since it was written way before the deck was available.


The truth here is this; I wasn’t blinded by the fantastic images of this deck.  I was in fact, a bit disappointed when I got to the court cards.  I do not hate the deck; the deck is okay and a nice edition to a collection.  This is not, in my opinion a “working deck”.  This is not a deck for people who do not know the court card astrological associations.








No comments:

Post a Comment